Saturday, September 14, 2013

Maniac [Blu-ray]



A side of Elijah Wood that you've never seen before
Banned in New Zealand? You have got to be kidding me. Maniac is a stylish low budget horror film and remake of the original version. This movie is about a man with psychological issues who goes on a rampage killing women and scalping them for mannequins. Different kind of movie.

Rare remake that is worth it.
As a huge fan of the Joe Spinell original, I have to say I was more than impressed with this retelling of one of the more unique horror films from the 80's. I was more than skeptical about the POV style, and of any remakes lately, but Elijah Wood was fantastic as the tortured psychopath. The special effects were great, if you like some good, bloody slasher movie effects, and the overall mood was dark and brooding, the way a slasher film should be. Highly recommended for the old school horror fan.

FINALLY fixed the streaming
I wish I read the reviews before I rented this. This is not the movie that is advertised in the title.

Edit:

The mixup has been FIXED so I was able to see the movie. Now to fix my rating with a proper review. This is a definite 5 star horror movie in my book.

The POV camera for the stalking/killing is very jarring (harkening back to the opening scene of Halloween). Paired with the somewhat retro soundtrack it gives a nostalgic feeling for old style slasher movies in a modern setting, and I think the movie itself is a solid entry into that genre. The violence in the movie is VERY graphic (and it does not shy away from it using quick cuts or other camera tricks), so gauge your own stomach before watching, but it is worth it in my opinion.

Like I said, definite 5 star on the movie.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment